Prof. Mrs Esi Awuah
Prof. Mrs. Esi Awuah had her BSc in Biological Sciences from KNUST, her Masters in Environmental Science at SUNY ESF Syracuse in the USA and her PhD in Wastewater treatment at Wageningen University /UNESCO-IHE Delft Netherlands.
She was employed as a lecturer in 1986 and rose to become a full professor in 2014. She has held several leadership positions notably among them are: Heads of Departments of Environment and Technology, and Civil Engineering and Dean of the Former Faculty of Civil and Geomatic Engineering all at KNUST. She has served and continue to serve on some such several boards, eg African Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Organization of Women in Science for the Developing World, Africa Sanitation Think Tank, Zoomlion Ghana Ltd , Water Aid Ghana etc.
She has led other important research projects as the Wellcome Trust SNOWS Project on Environmental Health and Sanitation involving 9 institutions in Europe and Africa, The Co-ordinator in Ghana for the EU Project on sustainable cities (SWITCH) involving eight institutions in Asia, Africa, Latin America and Europe.
She has collaborated with colleagues at home and abroad and won numerous grants in millions of dollars for research in energy, environment, water and sanitation.
She has supervised over 200 undergraduates and 40 post graduates at the masters including over 10 PhD Students. She has over 100 publications in refereed journals, conference papers environmental reports and book chapters etc.
She has received numerous awards such as Best EU Research project in Water, Environment and sanitation in 2012 , One of the Best Scientific journal article by Elsevier 2006, Ghana Brass Award of Women in Excellence Award by The Ministry of Gender and Social Services 2015, UNESCO Mondialogo best innovation research in Engineering 2007, Best National Research Scientist (Silver) for Water, Environment and Sanitation, 2011, Honorary Fellow of the Ghana Institution of Engineers, 2014, Fellow of the African Academy of Sciences, 2015, Suman man Golden star of Adinkra for education in 2016, National Students Award as Ambassador of Education 2016 and Ghana’s Presidential Award for Officer of the Order of Volta for her contribution in Engineering, Environment and Sanitation Education in Ghana in 2016 .
She was made the Foundation Vice-Chancellor for the University of Energy and Natural Resources in 2012 and by the end of her term of office in 2016, she had had the following achievements: Development of 20 programs, student population increased from 154 to >2600. Staff and students under her administration also developed, an optimized algorithm to process data 1000X faster than the ordinary computer, and the development of a super computer, development of ecodrones, several energy devices eg, generators without fuel or solar energy such as APloGo, e-turbine, energy from power banks from used telephone chargers, construction of Antennae that receives information from 12 satellites in space for Fire monitoring and weather forecasting in the West African sub region. The only University in Africa with such facility. Together with staff they won a grant to provide solar street lights and household solar energy systems for rural communities which were not on the national grid.
As a Philanthropists, she supported the education of several students, supported the establishment of Boys and Girls’ Brigade, educated communities on health and hygiene education, development of water hand dug wells for communities.
- Kenneth Bentum Otabil, Samuel Ofosu Gyasi, Awuah, Seth Boateng Tenkorang, Henk Schallig, Daniels Obeng-Ofori and Justice Amenyo Kessie (2020). Biting rates and relative abundance of Simulium flies under different climatic conditions in an onchocerciasis endemic community in Ghana. Parasites and Vectors 13 (1).
- Peter Appiah Obeng, Sampson Oduro-Kwarteng, Bernard Keraita, Henrik Bregnhoj, Robert C Abaidoo, E. Awuah and Flemming Konradsen (2020). On-Site Sanitation Systems for Low-Income Countries: Technical Guidelines for Groundwater Pollution and Nuisance Control. Waste Management, pp.1055-1078
- Peter A Obeng, Sampson Oduro-Kwarteng, Bernard Keraita, Henrik Bregnhøj, Robert C Abaidoo, Esi Awuah, Flemming Konradsen(2019). Redesigning the ventilated improved pit latrine for use in built-up low-income settings. Journal of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene for Development 9 (2), 374-379.
- Peter A Obeng, Sampson Oduro-Kwarteng, Bernard Keraita, Henrik Bregnhøj, Robert C Abaidoo, Esi Awuah, Flemming Konradsen(2019). Optimising ventilation to control odour in the ventilated improved pit latrine. Modeling Earth Systems and Environment 5 (1), 133-142
- Kenneth Bentum Otabil, Samuel Fosu Gyasi, Esi Awuah, Daniels Obeng-Ofori, Robert Junior Atta-Nyarko, Dominic Andoh, Beatrice Conduah, Lawrence Agbenyikey, Philip Aseidu, Comfort Blessing Ankrah, Abdul Razak Nuhu, HDFH Schallig(2019). Prevalence of onchocerciasis and associated clinical manifestations in selected hypoendemic communities in Ghana following long-term administration of ivermectin. BMC infectious diseases 19 (1), 431
- SF Gyasi, AA Boateng, E Awuah, EO Antwi(2019). Ellucidating the incidence and the prevalence of Schistosomiasis spp infection in riparian communities of the Bui dam. Journal of Parasitic Diseases 43 (2), 276-288
- D Sarpong, S Oduro-Kwarteng, SF Gyasi, R Buamah, E Donkor, E Awuah, MK Baah(2019). Biodegradation by composting of municipal organic solid waste into organic fertilizer using the black soldier fly (Hermetia illucens) (Diptera: Stratiomyidae) larvae. International Journal of Recycling of Organic Waste in Agriculture, 1-10
- I Ahmed, D Ofori-Amanfo, E Awuah, F Cobbold(2019). A Comprehensive Study on the Physicochemical Characteristics of Faecal Sludge in Greater Accra Region and Analysis of Its Potential Use as Feedstock for Green Energy. Journal of Renewable Energy 2019
- E Appiah-Effah, KB Nyarko, E Awuah, EO Antwi(2018). Rotary drum composter as a low cost method for the removal of Ascaris lumbricoides and Trichuris Trichiura in faecal sludge compost. Water Practice and Technology 13 (2), 237-246
- Bismark Dwumfour-Asare, Kwabena B Nyarko, Helen MK Essandoh, Esi Awuah, Kofi KA Anim, Archibald Quaye(2018). Greywater in the drains of a sewered community in Ghana.Water Practice and Technology 13 (4), 965-979
- Kenneth B Otabil, Samuel F Gyasi, Esi Awuah, Daniels Obeng-Ofori, Mario A Rodríguez-Pérez, Charles R Katholi, Thomas R Unnasch(2018). The Search for an Efficient Black Fly Trap for Xenomonitoring of Onchocerciasis. Journal of parasitology research 2018
- SF Gyasi, B Boamah, E Awuah, KB Otabil(2018). A Perspective Analysis of Dams and Water Quality: The Bui Power Project on the Black Volta, Ghana. Journal of environmental and public health 2018
- F Asiamah, I Ahmed, E Awuah, F Cobbold, LA Ashitey (2018). Assessing the Impact of Computer Mediated Communication (CMC) on Productivity and Efficiency in Faecal Sludge Management: A Case Study of the Giant Faecal Sludge Management Company in Ghana. Journal of Human Resource and Sustainability Studies 6 (04), 235
- B Dwumfour-Asare, KB Nyarko, E Awuah, HMK Essandoh, BA Gyan(2018). Indigenous plants for informal greywater treatment and reuse by some households in Ghana. Journal of Water Reuse and Desalination 8 (4), 553-565
- M Osei-Marfo, E Awuah, NK de Vries (2018). Biogas technology diffusion and shortfalls in the central and greater Accra regions of Ghana. Water Practice and Technology 13 (4), 932-946
- I Ahmed, D Ofori-Amanfo, E Awuah, F Cobbold (2018). Performance Assessment of the Rehabilitated Mudor Sewage Treatment Plant at James Town Accra-Ghana. Journal of Water Resource and Protection 10 (08), 725
- AO Kwarteng, J Abogoom, RA Amoah, D Nyadanu, CK Nyam, T Ghunney, (2018). Phenomic characterization of twenty-four accessions of spider plant (Cleome gynandra) the Upper East region of Ghana Scientia horticulturae 235, 124-131
- JY Siaw, I Ahmed, D Ofori-Amanfo, F Cobbold, GT Agbotui, E Awuah (2018)Occupational Health and Safety Status in the Management of Faecal Sludge in Ghana: A Case Study of the Lavender Hill Faecal Treatment Plant Journal of Health and Environmental Research 4 (2), 42-50
- B Dwumfour-Asare, KB Nyarko, E Awuah, HMK Essandoh, BA Gyan, … (2018) Journal of Water Reuse and Desalination, jwrd2018061
- Assessment of Foreign Material Load in the Management of Faecal Sludge in the Greater Accra Region of Ghana Issahaku Ahmed, *, Ama Mbeaba Quarshie , Dennis Ofori-Amanfo , Florence Cobbold , Eric Simon Amofa-Sarkodie1 , Esi Awuah, (2018) International Journal of Energy and Environmental Science 2018; 3(1): 27-36 http://www.sciencepublishinggroup.com/j/ijees doi: 10.11648/j.ijees.20180301.13
- M Derkyi, SGK Adiku, V Nelson, BD Dovie, S Codjoe, E Awuah AAS Open Research 1 (2018). Smallholder farmers’ perception of climatic and socio-economic factors influencing livelihoods in the transition zone of Ghana
- P Owusu-Antwi, R Buamah, IS Kuwornu, H Essandoh, E Awuah, KA Anno (2017) Nutrient and Microbial Reduction Properties in Pervious Composites for Blackwater Treatment Management 5 (3), 212-21
- Kobina Aful Sampson Oduro Kwarteng, Eric Ofosu Antwi and Esi Awuah (2016). Odour Impact determination of a Communal Toilet: Field Measurement with Panellists using Dynamic Plume Method and Dispersion Modelling. Journal of Air pollution Published on Line March 2016 http/www.scirp.org/journal/ojap
- Eugene Appiah Effah, Kwabena Biritwum Nyarko, Eric Ofosu Antwi and Esi Awuah (2016). Effect of bulking materials and mixing ratios on concentration of nutrients during composting of raw faecal sludge from peri-urban areas, Water Practice and Technology 11 (1): 234-242.
- Peter Owusu-Antwi, Richard Buamah, Helen Essandoh, Adane Sewhunegn Molla, Esi Awuah, Kweku Akuam Anno, (2015). The Potential of Subsurface Infiltration for the Treatment of Biofil Toilet Technology Effluent. David Publishing 2015, Management Studies, Vol. 3, No. 11-12, 281-299. DOI:10.17265/2328-2185/2015.1112.003
- Isaac Monney & Esi Awuah, (2015). Sanitizing Fecal Sludge for Reuse Using Wood Ash as an Additive. Recycling 2015, 1(1), 14-24; doi:10.3390/recycling1010014
- Leslie Danquah, Esi Awuah, Seth Agyemang, Chalotte Monica Mensah, (2015). Investigating the Predictors of Domestic Water Consumption in Urban Households with Children Under Five Years: A Panel Study in the Atwima Nwabiagya District, Ghana. Journal of Sustainable Development. Vol 8, No 8 (2015). DOI: 10.5539/jsd.v8n8p1
- Eugene Appiah-Effah, Kwabena Biritwum Nyarko, Leticia Adum, Eric Ofosu Antwi & Esi Awuah, (2015). Perception of Peri-Urban Farmers on Fecal Sludge Compost and Its Utilization: A Case Study of Three Peri-Urban Communities in Ashanti Region of Ghana. Compost Science and Utilization Volume 23, Issue 4, 2015. DOI: 10.1080/1065657X.2015.1046616
- Mike Acheampong, Ebenezer D. O. Ansa, Martin Y. Woode & Esi Awuah (2015). Biosorption of Pb (II) onto Cocos Nucifera Shell and Moringa Oleifera Seeds. Chemical Engineering Communications, 202:7, 946-953, DOI:10.1080/00986445.2014.880424
- Leslie Danquah,Charlotte Monica Mensah, Seth Agyemang, Esi Awuah (2015). Risk Factors Associated with Diarrhea Morbidity Among Children Younger than Five Years in the Atwima Nwabiagya District, Ghana: A Cross-Sectional Study. Science Journal of Public Health. 3, No. 3, pp. 344-352. doi: 10.11648/j.sjph.20150303.17
- Peter A. Obeng, Bernard Keraita, Sampson Oduro-Kwarteng, Henrik Bregnhøj, Robert C. Abaidoo, Esi Awuah & Flemming Konradse, (2015). Usage and Barriers to Use of Latrines in a Ghanaian Peri-Urban Community. Springer International Publishing Switzerland. Environ. Process. (2015) 2:261–274. DOI 10.1007/s40710-015-0060-z
- Eugene Appiah-Effah, Kwabena Biritwum Nyarko, Eric Ofosu Antwi & Esi Awuah, (2015). Heavy metals and microbial loads in raw faecal sludge from low income areas of Ashanti Region of Ghana. Water Practice & Technology Vol. 10 No 1. doi: 10.2166/wpt.2015.014
- Kobina Afful, Sampson Oduro-Kwarteng & Esi Awuah, (2015). Assessing public perception of odours in a community: case of Ayigya Zongo, an urban poor community in Ghana. Journal of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene for Development. DOI:10.2166/washdev.2015.104
- Jerry Lawrence Authur, Samuel Fosu Gyasi, Amos T. Kabo- Bah and Esi Awuah, (2015). Rainfall Variability and its Impact on Reported OPD Cases of Salmonella typhi Infections in Sunyani, Ghana. Research Journal of Environmental Sciences Volume 9, Number 1, 39-47. DOI: 10.3923/rjes.2015.39.47
- Peter A. Obeng, Bernard Keraita, Sampson Oduro-Kwarteng, Henrik Bregnhøj, Robert C. Abaidoo, Esi Awuah, Flemming Konradsen (2015). Usage and Barriers to Use of Latrines in a Ghanaian Peri-Urban Community. Environmental Processes, ISSN 2198-7491 / DOI 10.1007/s40710-015-0060-z
- Esi Awuah, Samuel Fosu Gyasi, Helen K. Anipa and Agnes Adjei, (2014). Microbial Quality of Sachet and bagged Drinking water: A case Study in Kumasi, Ghana. Research Journal of Microbiology, 9(4): 199-207 DOI: 10.3923/jm.2014.199.207
- Water supply and sanitation services delivery
- Natural treatment systems for water and wastewater
- Faecal sludge management
- Environmental and risk assessment
- Health and hygiene education
Regional Centre for Energy and Environmental Sustainability (RCEES)
University of Energy and Natural Resources Sunyani Ghana firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2021. Regional Centre for Energy and Environmental Sustainability