Qualifications & Memberships
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (Arizona State University)
- Master of Science (Arizona State University)
- Doctor of Philosophy (University of Colorado)
- Royal Society of New Zealand (RSNZ) (Professional Organisation): Member (MRSNZ)
Energy Transition Engineering: I am very interested in the new methodologies and tools needed to change existing systems to rapidly shift away from fossil fuels. I have carried out research on every type of renewable and alternative energy technology, and sustainable energy systems. I have developed the Interdisciplinary Transition Management Engineering (InTIME) Methodology and lead an international group in the emerging field. Like Safety Engineering, Transition Engineering actions social responsibility and sound science to deliver change projects that down-shift the exposure to fossil fuel supply and climate change risks. I am interested in research in energy transition of buildings, cities, transportation and freight. I have also worked with rural and remote communities on sustainable development. www.transitionengineering.org
Antimicrobial Coatings: I discovered a new mass transport regime that uses pulsed pressure during my PhD. I have been carrying out fundamental processing and materials science for the past 20 years. A new nano-structured TiO2 coating has been discovered that has excellent durability on stainless steel and high photo-catalytic activity in visible light. I am currently interested in understanding the mechanisms that produce the unique structure and properties, and commercial development of the coating technology. www.kotitechnologies.com
- Transition Engineering
- Energy Transition in Buildings and Urban Form
- Energy Transition in Electricity and Transport Systems
- Pulsed Pressure -Metalorganic Chemical Vapor Deposition (PP-MOCVD)
- Antimicrobial Ceramic Coatings on Metal Touch Surfaces
- Geothermal Energy Development and Optimization
- Organic Rankine Cycle Technology
- Strategic Analysis of Complex Systems
- Sustainable Development in Remote Communities
- Bai M. and Krumdieck S. (2020) Transition engineering of transport in megacities with case study on commuting in Beijing. Cities 96 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cities.2019.102452.
- Gorthy R., Krumdieck S. and Bishop C. (2020) Process-Induced Nanostructures on Anatase Single Crystals via Pulsed-Pressure MOCVD. Materials 13(7) 1668 http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/ma13071668.
- Huang Y., Masters S., Krumdieck S. and Bishop C. (2020) The role of faceting in biaxially textured thin films: columnar morphology and abnormal tilting. Journal of Applied Physics.
- Blair N., Pons D. and Krumdieck S. (2019) Electrification in Remote Communities: Assessing the Value of Electricity Using a Community Action Research Approach in Kabakaburi, Guyana. Sustainability 11(9) 2566: 31. http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/su11092566.
- Gardecka AJ., Polson MIJ., Krumdieck SP., Huang Y. and Bishop CM. (2019) Growth stages of nano-structured mixed-phase titania thin films and effect on photocatalytic activity. Thin Solid Films 685: 136-144. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tsf.2019.06.018.